Monday, June 22, 2015

Interactive Character Analysis-Makeover Madness

I'm very excited when a "party" motivates me to get some work done! :) I've been wanting to add to these posters for a while now, so thanks to the TPT Seller Challenge hostesses for getting my butt in gear!


NEWLY UPDATED:

Interactive Character Analysis Posters
I've been using my character analysis posters for a couple of years now and I decided I wanted to try to make my teaching of these 50 character traits more explicit. I designed these 1/2 page, quick to model graphic organizers for each character trait.
I think this 5 minutes of direct instruction will prove invaluable when discussing characters all year. The organizers will allow me to quickly go over the trait, definition, and behaviors/actions that a character would demonstrate with each trait. 

The "secret" to getting your students to use these interactive posters and identifying character traits on their own is...
Consistency.

In those first few weeks/months of school, you need to model/discuss these traits with every mentor text you share with your class. For some books you may share one trait, for others you may have more. My students find it interesting how popular tenacious or courageous become and don't want to let the other traits feel "left out", so they start trying to find mentor texts for me to share with characters exhibiting those traits. I seem to share a lot of texts that have characters that are determined, hopeful, and optimistic. As part of MY summer homework, I plan to find new mentor texts that have sly, fierce, or humorous characters. 

These posters are referred to all year-perfect for making connections and comparing characters across texts. They are highly visible in the front of our classroom and each Post-It that is placed on the posters is shared with the class. All thinking must be justified by using text evidence. This sharing time is crucial for all of my learners-it allows my struggling learners to hear that deep thinking and my advanced learners to debate if they think a character has a more prominent trait throughout the text. 
*I promise this sharing and learning  transfers over to their independent work.

Highly visible and USED, the word "interactive" means just that. I like pretty things hanging on my walls too, but if you hang things to be made as a visual or as a reference tool, then you need to model the "use" of them so your students will use them too. They are a tool for me and my students to use in our classroom (the placement of these posters are a constant reminder to all of us). Here are some samples:



There are three things we do in our classroom consistently with each text we share character traits, theme, and figurative language. It just becomes natural for my students to add/find these things on their own after a couple of months of school.
{Insert excited, dancing teacher who is looping with her class next year and should be able to start these things back up again on day ONE!! I can't wait to see how our routines will fall back into place and how we will take it to the next level!} Here is an example I typed up from last year.



This set includes 50 posters, but I only have 35 posted at a time. I change them out as they get filled to expose my students to as many higher level traits as possible. 


If you've purchased this product, download again for the added organizers. :)
Click here to check it out! 

You may have other purchases that have been revised too! Under you purchases, sort by "Recently Revised" and it will list all the products that have had revisions. The product may have additional pages/resources that have been added or a correction made.



22 comments:

  1. Cute makeover. Love all the bright colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great product! Any time the kids get to interact with a visual in the room, they are more engaged and more excited.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of adding the organizers to an already great product.

    Mary
    Fit to be Fourth

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all your information, Website is very nice and informative content.
    ---
    facebook movil and facebook movil gratis and apply facebook iniciar sesion celular

    ReplyDelete
  6. It has proven to be much better for the students to regard about all those factors to which they must need to understand and hopefully by the time it will prove to be much better. professional script writing

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post. agencja interaktywna warszawa

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very informative post! There is a lot of information here that can help any business get started with a successful social networking campaign. seo malaysia

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is my first time visit here. From the tons of comments on your articles,I guess I am not only one having all the enjoyment right here! gain instagram followers free app

    ReplyDelete
  10. Since the consumer is dealing more with a website, rather than a personal face-to-face transaction, sometimes they do not know the quality of a company until they actually buy from them. Safer Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  11. Does this resource come with a book suggestion for each character trait?

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have a genuine capacity to compose a substance that is useful for us. You have shared an amazing post about Ignite Scholarship Classes Adelaide....Much obliged to you for your endeavors in sharing such information with us.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice information, valuable and excellent design, as share good stuff with good ideas and concepts, lots of great information and inspiration, both of which I need, thanks to offer such a helpful information here. data analysis help

    ReplyDelete
  14. Be empowered to live like a King! African Americans represent every aspect of this country's heritage and hope. The involvement and leadership of black Americans is vital to truly unite and achieve civil, social, and economic justice for all. Black Panther for birthday

    ReplyDelete
  15. Website and software testing have been a part in the evaluation of the two aspects. The testing process involves the operation of an application or a system, which is under conditions that are controlled specifically. Ty Campbell

    ReplyDelete
  16. RMD insurance means Required Minimum Distribution.It is the insurance for Retirement age. RMD Insurance

    ReplyDelete
  17. Do you have young boys who love Pokemon? Is their birthday getting close? Never fear, this is a great, fun article that will help you make cheap, fabulous and FUN Pokemon birthday party games for a GREAT party. hora loca

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a must-read for anyone ovo game interested in the subject. The insights and perspectives offered are truly valuable.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The creative method of character analysis using interactive techniques really impresses me. With this update, the process gains a dynamic and interesting dimension that makes it much more illuminating and fun. By the way, for a smooth beginning to your research adventure, anyone wishing to improve their academic writing could look at Dissertation Introduction Writing Services .. I'm looking forward to more new discoveries, so keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This interactive character analysis makeover is incredible it really is! I adore how it digs deeply into each character's subtleties to give us a deeper grasp of their goals and growth. What distinguishes it as engaging is the interactive element. This tool helps me create well-rounded characters for my stories, which is quite helpful as an aspiring writer. In addition, this resource fits in perfectly with my recent exploration into e-book editing, which is related to improving my writing. Looking forward to additional information and maybe some advice on how to incorporate this study into the e book editing. process! Fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...