Friday, April 12, 2013

Friday Flashback and Five for Friday

It's Friday!!! Time to link up with Amanda for Friday Flashback and Kacey for Five for Friday to share some things about my week.
 
[fiveforfriday%255B6%255D.jpg]
 
I want to dedicate this poster to my dear friend, mentor, teacher, and inspiration, Mrs. Barnette (I have to call her that because she was my 5th grade teacher!) (She also taught both my boys for 1st AND 2nd grade-I kind of begged talked her into her looping both times. :O) She announced this week she is retiring after 36 years of dedication to our profession. I'm selfishly sad for me, because she moved to fourth grade next door to me this year, but happy for her that she can retire knowing she touched so many lives. I'm very grateful for having her in my life and having the opportunity to teach with MY teacher before she retired.
 Check out my new signs!!! My friend Judy found them for me...shut up, right??!! Totally fits my classroom theme!
 
FCAT Testing Donut Directions: The directions are set up to follow our state test directions, but instead, all about eating a donut. (No use of electronic devices while eating the donut, no looking at any one's donut, only a No. 2 napkin, etc.) My students loved it! I even put out the Do Not Disturb Sign! If you missed the copy of the directions, scroll down to yesterday's post.
Literature Circles: This is our second meeting. My class and I love literature circles and sharing our thoughts and feelings about books! I'm sharing these photos so you can see the "friendly arguments" they're having about their novels! I love their passion! This group is reading Framed, several have read the series by Gordon Korman.
This student is citing text evidence! They are reading So B. It.
These two are having a "passionate" conversation! This group is reading Eggs.


Last Saturday was my first linky party...Spark Student Motivation Saturdays! I was so thrilled to have 23 awesome bloggers link up! Thank you!!! Such great ideas to use in our classrooms! Every teacher has their own bag of tricks, but with all of us sharing, we're going to need a U-Haul truck! There were ideas for whole class incentives, individual students, and even schoolwide incentives! Hope to see everyone back tomorrow!





9 comments:

  1. I love that donut activity! Thank you so much for sharing it! Looks like a very busy week. Since I only teach Math this year, I really miss literature circles. They are so fun and you learn so much about the students' comprehension by giving them leadership roles.

    Elizabeth

    Fun in Room 4B

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am totally going to use the donut activity! So fun!! Ahh...text based evidence. I don't know how many times I have said that this year. I loved the story about your teacher, friend, and mentor:) That is so awesome!
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete
  3. How sweet that you got to teach with one of your teachers. My 3rd grade teacher sometimes subs in my building...that is as close as I have come.
    Jean
    Diving Into 2nd Grade

    ReplyDelete
  4. See you tomorroooooow with my Spark!! ;-)
    Jivey

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm still smiling at the donut activity. SO. DARN. FUNNY!

    Enjoy your weekend!
    Jenny
    Suntans and Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww, how sweet that you had such a wonderful teacher that inspired you and then taught your boys! That's so special!!

    I laughed out loud at those signs! Pure awesomeness!! I wish I had sweat glitter this week. Sadly, it was not glitter, but it would have made it so much better if it had been!

    I love the donuts!! I'm going to have to do that next week! Thank you for sharing that!

    And look at your kiddos citing text evidence in literature circles! That's the best ever!! And several of those books I have never heard of! I'll have to check that out!!

    See ya tomorrow!! Maybe I'll be sweating glitter... ;O)
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your posters - so funny!

    I wish my students would interact in lit circles as much as your students seem to.

    Jane
    Learning in the Little Apple

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your classroom design is great! Thanks for sharing your ideas!
    Kristy
    2 Peas and a Dog Teaching Blog

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the doughnut activity!! What a fun way to introduce the testing madness! Thanks for sharing about your teacher friend - we do make a difference to someone every single day. ;)

    Amanda
    Teaching Maddeness

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...