Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Workshop Wednesday: Hyperboles

Linking up with my buddy Jivey for Workshop Wednesday!
 Writing Mini-Lesson: Hyperboles
 I love teaching writing! One of my favorite parts of writing is figurative language...{puffy heart}! Today I'm going to talk about hyperboles: one of my students' favorites! It's a creative writing skill and kids think they're being so funny when they create them! A hyperbole is an extreme exaggeration (often used with humor) and is deliberately put in a writing piece to make a point effectively. 
I start by sharing a few samples of hyperboles and modeling some of my own sentences. We then practice with my Hyperbole Sentence Starters {below}.

 
Here's what you'd "hear" during this activity:
Example 1:
Student A: The girl was SO sad...
Whole class: How sad?
Student A: that I thought she'd be able to swim laps in her puddle of tears!
 
Example 2:
Student B: The room was SO crowded...
Whole Class: How crowded?
Student B: an ant couldn't fit!
 
Each student gets their own card and shares with the class. We share/swap several times-my students LOVE these! (I guess because they get to laugh, be silly, sarcastic, and funny all at the same time!) We complete a few activities with hyperboles and in no time flat they can spot one from a mile away!!!
You can check out my Hyperbole Bundle here.
 
Check out all the great ideas for Workshop Wednesday and don't forget to enter her giveaway while you're there!
          




12 comments:

  1. Love this one!! My kids love hyperboles too, but this is a great activity I hadn't tried! We might do it next week as a stress reliever after testing! ;-) As always, thanks for linking up!
    Jivey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I just came upon your blog with the Workshop Wednesday linky. I love this activity and see how I can adapt this for my second graders. The same types of prompts could be used when having students create similes. Thanks so much for sharing! I have become a new follower and will stop back to read future posts...

    Smiles,
    Sarah @ Hoots N' Hollers

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea. I've never taught hyperboles to my students before. I'm going to have to try this out. Thanks for sharing!
    Hunter's Tales from Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a cute idea! Something we'll have to try in the next few weeks.

    :) Kaitlyn
    Smiles and Sunshine

    ReplyDelete
  5. No suprise I found another great idea here on your blog! I love this, I love lessons that stick with kids and that they continue to build upon throughout the year! Thanks once again.

    Looking From Third to Fourth

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks again for all your help! You guys are awesome in Blogland. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this friend. I have it pinned and will be doing this next year! :)

    Christy
    Teaching Tales Along the Yellow Brick Road

    ReplyDelete
  8. How cute! I love all things figurative language, and so do the kids!! Thanks for sharing it!!

    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fabulous idea! I will be using this idea in my classroom. Thanks for the post!

    Foreman Teaches

    ReplyDelete
  10. This would be so fun to teach! I could see almost making it a competition for the best hyperbole.

    ~April Walker
    The Idea Backpack
    Balancing the Backpack

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a fun activity! I bet the kids would LOVE it! Thanks so much for sharing! :)

    PS I am your newest follower!

    Amanda
    Learning to the Core

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...