Saturday, April 6, 2013

Spark Student Motivation Saturdays!

I can't believe it! I'm having my first linky party! I feel like a big girl now! haha! This topic is so important to us now with our kiddos getting spring fever! I know we all have techniques that work in our classrooms and this is going to be our place to share our magic tricks! Every teacher needs a bag of tricks! Each Saturday you can link up to share ONE idea/tip/incentive you use in your classroom to motivate your students. I want it to be quick and easy for you to link you up each week and this will give us weeks of ideas! It can be an idea you've used recently or with a different grade level, something someone else has used, or a school wide incentive. What do you do to motivate or encourage your students? Choose any topic you want to share about, here are some possible topics, but not limited to:
Behavior
Completion of Homework
Participation
Reading Counts/Accelerated Reader
Getting Along With Others
Studying
Returning Forms
Academics
ANYTHING!!!
Basically ANYTHING  you do in your class that is EXTRA and gets kids excited! No idea is too simple, sometimes it's the little things that make a big difference! The possibilities for this linky are endless! I can't wait to see what everyone does in their classrooms! I think this time of the year is a perfect time for this linky especially with spring fever-we all need a bag FULL of magic tricks!!
  Now for one my magic tricks...

Here are my bags!!! I've been using this motivational trick since I interned! I have always loved game shows and try to incorporate fun anytime I can in my classroom! I got this idea from the game show "Let's Make A Deal". I pass out tickets all week for miscellaneous things (participation, sharing, prepared, helping others, correct answers, etc.). My students go crazy for tickets, even this time of the year because of my weekly drawing! At the end of the week I choose 12-15 tickets and they receive a small prize (treat from candy jar). The last ticket called is the big winner and they can go for the treat (the for sure thing) or go for the deal (taking risks/chances).  I have three bags set up: 2 are great prizes (full size candy bar, cotton candy, movie theater candy, etc.), and one is a zonk (paper clip, used homework pass, rubberband, etc.). They know there's a chance they could lose, but in 17 years I've NEVER had any student take the "for sure" treat and not go for the deal! I'll admit, I do feel bad when they get a zonk, but we're not all winners. It's a great life lesson.
Of course, I play all of this up with the "audience"..."Should they go for the deal? Do you think it's Bag #1 (cheers), Bag #2 (cheers) or Bag #3 (cheers)? It's up to you, you can go with the audience or go with your gut/heart? Which bag will it be?" And then of course, I drag it out by putting my hand in and out a few times to draw out the suspense! "Are you sure you want this bag?" And then I pull out the prize!
 
The three bags are set up when they get back from lunch on Friday-they remind me every Friday when I drop them off not to forget to set up the drawing! I've upgraded my bags since I first started this incentive-for years I used Publix brown bags and sharpie marker numbers.
 
 
Here are some sample prizes: Bag 1 and Bag 3 have movie theater candy, and Bag 2 is the "zonk" with a paperclip.
   Can't wait to see what's in your bag of tricks! You can link up anytime during the week!
 
***Don't forget to grab my new button and link back to this post. Why don't we share some blog love and follow/comment on at least one other post while we're here?

19 comments:

  1. I love the Let's Make a Deal game! I so wish we could still use candy as rewards at my school!
    Erin
    I'm Lovin Lit

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is fantastic that you include a zonk gift. I'm sure the excitement of having their name picked and the game show atmosphere makes up for the zonk prize. Of course you've upgraded your bags - now they look like they are yours!!!

    Looking From Third to Fourth

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute idea!! How fun!! The bags are too cute! I am sure the students are super excited either way! Thanks for sharing! I look forward to linking up later this week!!

    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea. I may have to try and put something together this weekend. We aren't supposed to give out candy, but the dollar bins at Target always have great stuff. Thanks for sharing.

    Jeanette
    Third Grade Galore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although I usually use candy because it's a favorite, I also have used the big bags of popcorn/chips from Dollar Tree or one WEEK of no homework passes too. I didn't realize how many districts/schools don't allow candy.

      Delete
  5. Such a great idea! I loved Let's Make a Deal when I was a kid :)

    Diane
    Fifth in the Middle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, sorry to link up something that I've already posted recently. I'll try to do something new next week :)

      Delete
  6. What a great idea! I love that this idea is simple and something I can do without a lot of prep work, but I know it will be high impact with my kids! Thanks!

    ~Courtney
    Polka Dot Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the "Let's Make a Deal" concept and enjoyed reading about how you draw it out to make it suspenseful:) Thanks for the inspiration!
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE it! I can just imagine how excited your students get on Fridays. I want to play. I loved watching that game growing up. Thanks for sharing!
    :0) Melissa
    More Time 2 Teach

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this idea! Definitely going to have to remind myself of this in August! Happy to have found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE this linky party!! What a great idea!! =) Thanks so much for hosting! I can't wait to read about all of the different motivational techniques teachers use in their bag of tricks! =) I LOVE your "game" too!! So cute... love those bags! =)
    -Jackie-
    Sister Teachers

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE your "let's make a deal"!! I bet the kids who get a zonk still have fun, but it is such a good life lesson!! I love your creativity!!

    I am also glad that your linky is a big hit!!!

    Michelle
    The 3AM Teacher
    Visit My FB Page

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh that is such a cool idea- I'm going to adapt it a bit and use it as part of a class economy I have set up (I don't quite know what I mean by that yet but I'll give you credit when I figure it out and write a post about it!)

    Right, off to write a post so I can link it to your party!
    x Serena x
    Magic Mistakes & Mayhem

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fun idea! :0) I am so glad I found you guys! :) That 'Let's Make A Deal!' idea is just AWESOME! :) I can't wait to check out some of the other ideas from other bloggers! :) Thanks again!

    XOXO,
    Tamara

    Mrs.Russell's Room
    First Grade


    ReplyDelete
  15. What a neat Idea! Are you planning on making this a weekly linky party? Please do, because I have quite a few things to share and I'm sure many others do too!

    Carla
    Surviving Sixth Grade

    ReplyDelete
  16. Heehee, "We're not all winners, it's a great lesson." WISER WORDS have never been spoken! :) Love the game - we use tickets, but I haven't made it a raffle -- this might be what we do mid-week next week.

    I just linked up to my post about "Motivation Madness" - the basketball/core values game I made to hook my boys for the rest of the year. Thanks for the link-up, I can't wait to look through these awesome ideas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Inspirational guides are almost putting more focus on the respective elements and it will be good for the students to show some interest while recording the best of their weekends. statement of purpose writing services

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...